Friday, May 23, 2008

Finally Back and Feeling Empowered

So my trip to North Carolina this year was very empowering. I went to the Black Enterprise Magazine Entrepreneurs Conference. I work with a friend who runs the kids component to the conference. For 2 intense days kids ages 6-18 who are already successful business owners, want to start a business, or their parents want them to start thinking like Entrepreneurs are schooled in the field of business. At the end of the 2 days they each group which is age specific has to create a business plan, mock business and create a video presentation. It was a lot of fun being around so many young people who are excited, eager and passionate about being successful, and competitive in these days and times. Some great guest speakers stopped in to offer some advice for the kids. The one that stuck out the most for me was Chris Gardner(Pursuit of Happyness). Its funny I saw him last year on TV when they were interviewing about the movie coming out and I thought to myself one day I hope to meet this man. Well I did just that.. He is a really sharp no nonsense businessman. It was inspiring to hear him speak. Also BE recognizes successful black owned companies every year and this year one of the award recipients was Oprah. Of course she was not there because I would have passed out and that would not have been cute.. LOL.. She did send in a videotaped acceptance speech, she is another person who I admire and hope to aspire to her level. Not so much on the wealth side but that she has never lost the desire to help people no matter how much money she has. To me that's important... She is also an Aquarius so its just natural within us to want to help and save the world... Overall the conference gave me some new insight into business, my life and future. I can't wait till next year.

Peace

No comments: