Tuesday, May 26, 2009

4th Phenomenal Woman- Laura Kaiser- Nutritionist


What is your name and where are you from?
My full name is Laura Michelle Kaiser. I was born in BK and grew up in Nassau County.



What do you do for a living?
I am a Registered Dietitian focusing on community nutrition. I work for a national non-profit which is affiliated with a hospital in order to provide nutrition education and counseling to homeless children and families in NYC. I also have a special interest in educating diabetics because I myself have Type 1 diabetes.


Why is that so important?
Because you really are what you eat. And some of us are at a marked disadvantage to eat as well (or as much) as others, which adversely impacts longevity and quality of life.


What impact has your career had on your life?
I don't have enough time for myself! Oh, and I'm pretty broke most of the time!

I am very grateful for all that I have: a roof over my head; a hot shower and/or meal whenever I want it; family and friends who love me, support me, would protect or shelter me; an excellent education.
I sometimes feel frustrated and sad and angry about the way the world works.
Consumerism and frivolity in spending and usage disconcerts me -- especially with regard to the earth's natural resources. We, as a race, disrespect our planet so much. Have lost touch with it. It troubles me that most of the kids I work with wouldn't know how to grow something....something they could eat. Would rather eat a Pepperoni Pizza Hot Pocket than a plant that comes from the earth. It's very hippie chick, I know, but it's disturbing to me.



What's the dating scene like for those in the Medical World? anything Like Grey's Anatomy?

Well, I'm not a medical doctor, but I certainly attest to the difficult dating scene here in NYC if you want to know anything about that!



What would you rather be doing right now?
Lying on a beach.


What do you do for fun?
Swim, bike, cook, knit, dance (salsa), hang with my FRIENDS or my SISTERS....read.



What it is the one thing you haven't tried yet but will one day?

My mother would be so happy if I said "gefilte fish." But I'd really like to hang-glide. I am completely enamored of birds and flight, and I'd like to feel what it's like to soar like they do...I think hang-gliding is maybe as close as you get without real wings.

Where can we learn more about you?
Facebook

No comments: