Monday, June 8, 2009

6th Phenomenal Woman -Gemma Fleming- Photographer


What is your name and where are you from?

Gemma Rosalind Fleming (so far as my legal name goes; any other ones
you might know me by, well…). Born in Naples, Italy. Made a little pad
in Brooklyn my new home, but most of my life I spent trotting about
Washington State.



What kind of person are you?

One word: LOUD.
A closet introvert, but that doesn’t last too long.



What is the worst job you ever had and what did you learn from it?


Photo related: Assisting on a test shoot during my first few months in
New York. It was during the summer and I was sweating so horribly that
I almost ruined a roll of film with my own sweat.
First Job Ever: I was a security guard at a grocery store for a month.
I sat on a loading dock in an over sized orange coat reading comics and
falling asleep. One time a drug addict tried dragging me away from the
store. I only made $10/hour.
Lesson learned: I should be more selective with my choice of work and
antiperspirant.


What is the phenomenal work you are doing now?

I’m working on producing more stop motion and video pieces to
accompany my photo shoots. Right now the next couple of projects will
involve the following: bullets, a vinyl box, and my stepfather.



How has it changed your life?

Photography has taken over my waking and dreaming life. Being
engrossed in it has filled me with discouraging and rewarding
experiences. I can’t imagine doing anything else with myself at this
point.


What is the strangest photo assignment you’ve ever done?
My last shoot in Coney Island where I walked around in public in
nothing but my underwear. I’ve never experienced worse stage fright in
my entire life.


If you could work with one person and could shoot them anyway you
wanted who would be and what would you do?


As of now: Quentin Tarantino. I would be too enamored by his presence
and addled over the rate of his speech that I would probably forget I
was shooting. Then I would throw up on myself shortly afterward.


Where can we learn more about you?
www.gemmafleming.com
…or in person. I’m friendly; promise I won’t bite.


What's next for Gemma Fleming?
Producing new work to shoot during my stay in Japan. Oh, and a good
cup of coffee.

No comments: