Monday, May 11, 2009

Maryann Reid- 2nd Phenomenal Woman




What is your name and where are you from?
Maryann Reid from Brooklyn, NY. My parents are from Jamaica.


Do you have any siblings?
Yes, 2, older bro, younger sis


What type of child were you?
Busy body, active, curious, sometimes withdrawn, but always bubbling with new ideas and questions.


What is your most memorable job?

CNN. I was a production assistant years ago. Never had a job that broke me down and lifted me up on a daily basis. They told you in the interview that you would cry. I was like whatever, until I found myself in the bathroom one afternoon! It was active, lively, and a great way to meet people. I learned I can do anything after that!


What do you do that makes you Phenomenal?
Marry Your Baby Daddy Day is an event I created to strengthen 2 parent homes. Because of it, I've been featured on 20/20, The CBS Early Show, NBC Nightly News, CNN, Essence, the New Yorker, The NY Daily News and more. It is an all expenses paid wedding to spread the love! You can go to www.marryyourbabydaddy.com for more.

Why do you do it?


I do it because I love the see the smiles on the kids faces when they say "my mommy and daddy is getting married!" They already know what it means. It brings excitement to their lives. It demonstrates stability and security for the child and family. And finally, everybody has the same last name! To date, we've married 40 moms and dads. I hope that this will show people that black families are strong, believe in marriage, and it will result in a lower out of wedlock rate. Now, the out of wedlock rate is almost 70%.

What is your favorite food?
Mexican and Indian. I love all foods. As long as it is crispy and warm. My favorite dessert is apple pie.


How long have you been a writer?
Since I was born. Didn't find out until about 10 years ago when I published my first book for St. Martin's Press. I have written 5 novels for St. Martins.



Why do you like to write?

It brings me clarity and purpose. Helps me make people feel good, too.

If you weren't successful as a writer what would you be doing?


I'd be a TV news anchor. Hello, CNN!



Where can we learn more about you?
Please go to my daily blog at www.alphanista.com or visit my author website at www.maryannreidinc.com.

What is next for Maryann Reid?
I am working on another book, franchising Marry Your Baby Daddy Day, leveraging my online business, and building the Alphanista brand for spirited, bright, risk taking, bold empowered women. Can you handle that?

No comments: